Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Summer fun....


OK, so I have had this crazy idea since I was two bricks and a ticky high..... (very young).

I wanted to tour around Europe on a motorbike !

This is quite some dream for a kid who had never ridden on a motorbike, let alone been anywhere near Europe. Stuck away in a landlocked African Country in the arse end of nowhere, overseas and especially Europe could have been just past the stand of Bluegum trees at the end of the suburb for all I knew ....
So, 30 something years go by and here I am, on Europe's doorstep the proud owner of the flashiest Super touring Motorbike of all. I have booked the Ferry ride from Ireland to France in August (courtesy of my loving wife who actually does all the online bookings - being the Techno whizz of the family...)
The bike is booked in for a service (for which we are having to take out a second mortgage), the panniers are bought and fitted, all visa requirements are taken care of, "man to man" communication is fitted to the helmets, or man to woman as the case may be ! Leave has been booked by both parties, the map has been consulted and 7 countries chosen and mapped and now the countdown really begins...

Why is it then that just thinking about this adventure of a lifetime gives me nervous butterflies in my stomach ? Its almost as if I am terrified of actually realising my dream. Am I worried that I am running out of things to aim for ? Am I worried about driving on the wrong side of the road or not speaking the local languages ? Could it be that we are doing it alone without any backup ? It is tearing me up inside and I dont know why !

I have no problem believing the Bike will do us proud, I know I am a proficient rider with many years of Superbike riding under my belt. I know My other half loves to ride with me and we travel really well together. We have places to see on our pilgrimage that we have both wanted to see all our lives....... It is going to be a great trip and Im sure Terri will photograph everything perfectly and will write a best seller blog afterwards !!

I am stil nervous....

5 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger DelBoy said...

Very jealous! Europe on a bike (especially YOUR bike) is a great idea!

A quick question: The man-to-man comm thingy, where did you get it? My dad is looking for one but he has to take out a mortgage in SA to be able to afford it over there!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Bosbefok said...

Hi Delboy

It depends on which one you want. SOme are dirt cheap but work fine ( under €20) others may be around €100 . Mine was a cheapie but can take an MP3 player for music and Auto mutes when you talk. Let me know and if I see another one I will get it for you....

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Don't be nervous m'luv! We'll be fine :) It's a long trip but we'll do it in our own time and it'll be the coolest thing you've done yet!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Framesby 86 said...

Maybe the little boy is scared that he is finally grown up and can now realize his dream... just a thought. I know you are going to have a blast!!!! Sooooooooooo jealoussssssssss!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Bosbefok said...

Hmmmmm ..... I gotta start making some new goals up soon - running out of them quicksmart !!
Thanks for the support all. I cant say it makes me less nervous, but maybe its pure , unaduterated , Adrenalin excitement !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home